NATIONAL & GLOBAL ECONOMY:
THE IMPACT OF THE GLOBAL ECONOMY ON WORK
What you need to know...
Why do firms choose to operate overseas?
- Why do firms operate overseas; lower labour costs and/or higher labour productivity? (look at the charts below and you decide!)
The impact of globalisation
- Has globalisation had a positive impact on the USA and Australia? (see videos below)
- How has immigration affected the UK, especially labour markets?
- The European Commission predicts that Britain and many countries around the world will witness a significant increase in old-age dependency ratios by 2050 (i.e. a greater percentage of the population over the age of 65 who are dependent on those of working age in the labour market)
- This poses a problem for the UK economy and government expenditure on public services such as the NHS (click here for more information)
- Could immigration be the solution to counteract increasing old-age dependency ratios in the UK?
- Emigration can be just as much of a problem as immigration (click here for more information on the brain drain)
- Three myths about immigration (see video below)
Migration & the role of the UK government
- The Coalition Government continues to change its policies on immigration (see video below or alternatively click here)
Global aspects of migration
- The videos and resources below provide an insight into some of the global aspects of migration